carrot cake muffins with spiced honey glaze
- 1 cup (250g) fresh dates, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup (125ml) boiling water
- 2½ cups (375g) self-raising (self-rising) flour
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ¼ cup (20g) desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- ½ cup (125ml) light extra virgin olive oil
- 300g carrots, peeled and finely grated
- 250g cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar, extra
spiced honey glaze
- ½ cup (175g) honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the dates and boiling water in a bowl and set aside for 5 minutes or until liquid has absorbed.
- Place the flour, sugar, coconut and mixed spice in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the egg, vanilla, milk, oil, carrot and dates, and, using a butter knife, mix to just combine.
- Divide half the batter between 12 x ½-cup-capacity (125ml) well-greased muffin tins, filling the tins halfway. Place the cream cheese and extra sugar in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Spoon tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture into each tin and top with remaining batter. Cook for 20 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Set aside to cool for 2 minutes in the tins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. While the muffins are cooking, make the spiced honey glaze.
- Place the honey and water in a small frying pan over high heat and cook for 3 minutes or until thickened. Add the mixed spice, stir to combine and pour the warm glaze over the muffins to serve. Makes 12.
There are no comments for this entry yet.