brandy-maple ice-cream panettone
- ½ cup (125ml) maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 x quantity basic custard ice-cream (see recipe) or 1 litre store-bought vanilla ice-cream, softened
- 1 x 1kg store-bought pandoro or panettone+
- icing (confectioner’s) sugar, for dusting
basic custard ice-cream
- 1½ cups (375ml) milk
- 1½ cups (375ml) single (pouring) cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- Place the maple syrup in a small saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Cook for 3–5 minutes or until thickened.Remove from the heat and carefully stir through the brandy. Set aside to cool.
- If using, make the basic custard ice-cream mixture (see method below). Add the maple mixture and whisk until well combined. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until completely cooled. Churn in an ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- While the ice-cream is churning, slice the base off the pandoro with a serrated knife. Using a 13cm-round plate as a guide, cut a round from the removed cake base and set aside (this will be the lid). Using the plate as a guide, cut into the cake to make a hollow.
- Spoon the soft, freshly churned ice-cream into the hollow and replace the 13cm lid. Place on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and freeze for 3–4 hours or until completely set. Dust with icing sugar to serve. Serves 6–8.
basic custard ice-cream
- Place the milk, cream, vanilla bean and seeds, and half the sugar in a medium saucepan over high heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and remove from the heat. Remove the vanilla bean and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Place the egg yolks and remaining sugar in a bowl and whisk until pale and creamy. Gradually pour the milk mixture over the egg mixture, whisking continuously.
- Place in a clean saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 5–7 minutes or until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Place in a bowl and refrigerate until cooled completely. Churn in an ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer ice-cream to a metal container and freeze until ready to serve. Makes 1 litre.
+ Panettone and pandoro are Italian-style, bread-like cakes traditionally served at Christmas. The pandoro is typically star-shaped while the panettone can be more rounded or even mushroom-shaped. Both are found in Italian or specialty grocery stores.
There are no comments for this entry yet.