cacao caramel bites
- 30 fresh dates (450g), pitted
- ¼ cup (80g) hazelnut spread+
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup (25g) cacao powder
- 100g 70% dark chocolate, melted
- ¼ cup (45g) cacao nibs
- Place the dates, hazelnut spread, vanilla, coconut oil and cacao in a food processor and process for 3–4 minutes or until smooth. Spoon into a lightly greased 20cm x 10cm loaf tin lined with non-stick baking paper, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon++. Freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
- Cut into 14 bars. Using a fork, dip one bar into the melted chocolate, allowing the excess to drip off. Place on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and sprinkle with cacao nibs. Repeat with the remaining bars and chocolate. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set. Serve. Makes 14.
+ Hazelnut spread can be found in the health food aisle of the supermarket. You can also use a different nut spread.
++ The mixture will be quite sticky. Dip the spoon into melted coconut oil to help spread out the mixture.
Tip: You can store these bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks (for a harder caramel) or at room temperature for up to a week (for a softer caramel).
There are no comments for this entry yet.