coconut caramel slice
- ½ cup (100g) coconut oil, melted, plus ¼ cup (50g) extra
- 2½ cups (190g) shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups (160g) spelt flour, sifted
- ½ cup (50g) cacao powder, sifted
- 160g raw cacao chocolate, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (90g) honey
coconut date caramel
- 25 fresh dates (about 375g), pitted
- ½ cup (100g) coconut oil, melted
- 1¼ cups (310ml) coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Line the base of a lightly greased 20cm x 30cm slice tin with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
- Place the coconut oil, shredded coconut, vanilla, flour and cacao powder in a large bowl and mix well to combine. Press into the base of the tin. Bake for 10 minutes or until dry to the touch.
- To make the coconut date caramel, place the dates, coconut oil and coconut cream in a food processor and process for 3 minutes or until very smooth.
- Spoon over the base and spread evenly. Cook for 30 minutes or until set. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Place the chocolate, honey and extra coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat until melted. Pour over the slice. Using a hot knife, cut into slices to serve. Makes 20.
Note: You can store the caramel slice refrigerated in an airtight container for up to one week.
Great recipe, everyone loved it!