coconut layer meringue cake
- 600ml eggwhites (approximately 16 eggs), at room temperature
- 3 cups (660g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch), plus extra for dusting
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 cups (100g) coconut flakes
- vanilla coconut cream
- 1 cup (250ml) double (thick) cream
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut cream, chilled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Place half the eggwhites in a bowl and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add half the sugar, scrape down sides of the bowl and whisk for 8 minutes or until thickened and sugar has dissolved. Place half the cornflour and half the vinegar in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the cornflour mixture to the meringue and continue beating for 2 minutes. Spoon into a well-greased 24cm x 34cm slice tin and smooth the top. Cook for 16 minutes or until the top is just dry to the touch. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a baking tray lightly dusted with cornflour. Allow to cool completely+. Trim the meringue into 2 rectangles, discarding the edges++. Set aside.
- Repeat the method with the remaining eggwhites, sugar, cornflour and vinegar to create 2 more meringue rectangles.
- To make the vanilla coconut cream, place the double cream, coconut cream and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, place 1 meringue rectangle on a cake stand. Spoon 1/3 cup of the vanilla coconut cream over the meringue. Continue layering with meringue and vanilla coconut cream, finishing with the cream. Lightly spread the remaining vanilla coconut cream over the sides and sprinkle all over with coconut flakes. Serve immediately. Serves 6.
+ The meringue will shrink about 3–5cm from the edge of the tin as it begins to cool.
++ We’ve trimmed the edges of the meringue to create a straight, clean edge. You can leave the edges intact if you would like a larger cake.
There are no comments for this entry yet.