flourless carrot cake
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (175g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup (80ml) light-flavoured extra virgin olive oil
- 2⅔ cups (320g) almond meal
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice, plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 300g carrots, peeled and grated
- ¾ cup (60g) dessicated coconut
- ½ cup (80g) currants
- 1 cup (230g) fresh dates, pitted and chopped
cream cheese icing
- 500g cream cheese, chopped and softened
- ⅔ cup (180g) icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Line the base and sides of a lightly greased 20cm springform tin with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
- Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk for 8 minutes or until thick and tripled in volume. Place the oil, almond meal, mixed spice, baking powder, carrot, coconut, currants and dates in a large bowl and mix well to combine.
- Fold through the egg mixture and spoon into the prepared tin. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes or until a few crumbs are attached when tested with a skewer. Set aside in the tin to cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese icing, place the cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the milk and beat for a further 1 minute or until smooth.
- Remove the cake from the tin. Spread with the icing and dust with the extra mixed spice to serve. Serves 8–10.
There are no comments for this entry yet.