raspberry and lemon friands
- 1 cup (120g) almond meal
- 1⅔ cups (260g) pure icing sugar, sifted, plus extra, for dusting
- 3⁄4 cup (95g) gluten-free flour+, sifted
- ½ teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 5 eggwhites
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1½ cups (180g) frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Place the almond meal, sugar, flour, baking powder, eggwhites, butter and lemon rind in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 12 x ½-cup-capacity (125ml) cupcake tin. Top with the raspberries and bake for 30–35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Remove from the tins and place on a wire rack to cool. Dust with the extra icing sugar to serve. Makes 12.
+ You can find gluten-free flour in the health-food aisle of the supermarket.
Tip: Store the friands in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
These are outstanding! More delectable than a muffin, less pedestrian than a cupcake-perfect with coffee or tea!