salted caramel brownie sandwich cookies
- 350g dark chocolate, chopped
- 40g unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup (150g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (35g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder, sifted
salted caramel frosting
- ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- ½ cup (125ml) single (pouring) cream
- 150g unsalted butter, chopped
- sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place 200g of the chocolate and the butter in a small saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer and whisk for 15 minutes or until pale and creamy. Stir through the flour, baking powder, chocolate mixture and remaining chocolate and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Drop tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper, allowing room to spread. Bake for 8–10 minutes or until puffed and cracked. Allow to cool completely on trays.
- To make the salted caramel icing, place the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir with a metal spoon until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, for 8–9 minutes or until golden. Remove from the heat and carefully add the cream and butter. Return the saucepan to the heat and stir until the mixture is smooth. Refrigerate until completely cool.
- Using a hand-held electric whisk, whisk mixture until soft peaks form. Spread half the cookies with the icing, sprinkle with the salt and sandwich with the remaining cookies. Makes 12.
There are no comments for this entry yet.