caramel affogato with cinnamon churros
- 8 scoops store-bought caramel ice-cream
- 2 cups (500ml) hot strong espresso
- 1 cup (220g) white (granulated) sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 3 eggs
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- To make the churros, place the sugar and cinnamon in a small, shallow tray and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Place the butter and water in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, add the flour and beat with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes or until the mixture is smooth and comes away from the sides of the pan. Remove from heat and add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition or until the mixture is glossy and smooth. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm star-shaped nozzle.
- Fill a large saucepan half-full with oil and heat to 180°C (350°F) on a deep-frying thermometer.
- Pipe 4cm lengths of the mixture into the oil in batches, using scissors to snip the lengths. Cook, turning occasionally, for 2–3 minutes or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. While still hot, toss the churros in the cinnamon sugar and thread onto small metal skewers.
- Divide the ice-cream between 4 x 2-cup-capacity (500ml) tall glasses. Pour over the coffee and serve with the churros. Serves 4.
There are no comments for this entry yet.