crispy pork belly with spiced plum sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sea salt flakes
- 1 x 2kg piece boneless pork belly, skin scored at 1cm intervals
spiced plum sauce
- ½ cup (85g) brown sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) red wine vinegar
- 4 whole dried chillies
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 400g ripe plums, halved and pitted
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Rub the oil and salt into the pork skin. Place the pork, skin-side down, on a baking tray and roast for 1 hour. Increase the oven temperature to 200°C (400°F), turn the pork and roast for a further 1 hour 20 minutes or until the skin is golden and crunchy.
- While the pork is roasting, make the spiced plum sauce. Place the sugar, vinegar, chillies, star anise and cinnamon in a medium non-stick frying pan over high heat and bring to a simmer. Add the plums and cook, turning occasionally, for 8–10 minutes or until just soft and the sauce has reduced.
- Slice the pork and serve with the plum sauce. Serves 6.
A very easy recipe, turns out juicy & pork crackle is perfect every time. Just delicious, a family favourite.
I’ve only made the pork belly (so can’t comment on the plum component). I’ve made the pork a few times now and its turned out great each time. This is a great recipe and really impressive for dinner parties.
Breaking ALL the rules, skin side down first!! It works and this pork recipe is by far the best I have ever had with the best ever crackling too.