prune-stuffed crispy pork
with roasted red cabbage
- 3kg pork loin, trimmed and belly attached
- ¼ cup (30g) sea salt flakes
- ¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1½ cups (255g) pitted dried prunes
- ½ cup (80g) almonds
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 cups (140g) sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup (180ml) port
- 1 baby red cabbage, cut into wedges
- 2 bunches baby beetroot, trimmed, scrubbed and halved
- 8 sprigs thyme, extra
- ½ cup (125ml) chicken stock
- Using a sharp knife, score the pork skin at 1cm intervals. Rub the skin with 2 tablespoons of the sea salt flakes, and refrigerate, uncovered, for 2–3 hours.
- While the pork is chilling, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, for 4–5 minutes or until softened and golden brown.
- Place the prunes, almonds, parsley, breadcrumbs, egg, ¼ cup (60ml) of the port and the onion mixture in a food processor and pulse until just combined.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F). Brush the salt from the pork and pat dry with paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Turn the pork, skin-side down, and spread with the stuffing. Roll to enclose and secure with kitchen string. Brush the skin with 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil and rub with the remaining sea salt flakes, ensuring the salt is rubbed into the cuts.
- Place the pork on a lightly greased wire rack placed in a roasting tray lined with non-stick baking paper and cook for 25 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 200°C (400°F) and cook for a further 45–50 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
- While the pork is cooking, place the cabbage, beetroot and extra thyme on a large roasting tray. Drizzle with the remaining oil, sprinkle with salt and pour over the stock and remaining port. Cook for 40–45 minutes or until tender and caramelised. Slice and serve with the roasted cabbage and beetroot. Serves 6
There are no comments for this entry yet.