apple and ginger sour cream cake
- 120g unsalted butter
- softened¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- (80g) sour cream
- (2 medium) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 20g unsalted butter, extra and melted
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus extra to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the butter, sugar, vanilla and lemon rind in an electric mixer and beat for 8–10 minutes or until pale and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the egg and beat well to combine. Add the flour, ginger and sour cream and beat on low until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 20cm square tin lined with non-stick baking paper and spread evenly. Place the apple, extra butter and honey in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Arrange the apple on top of the cake. Cook for 55–60 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before drizzling with extra honey. Serve warm. Serves 4–6.
YUN RU LOW
I baked the cake into a 8"x4.5” loaf pan at 170 degrees Celsius for 1 hour 10 mins and the cake appear to be very dry. Any ways to bake this cake into a loaf pan and yet remain the moister in the cake?