chocolate s’more meringue pie
- 250g malt biscuits
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 600g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1½ cups (375ml) single (pouring) cream
marshmallow meringue topping
- 2 cups (440g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 150ml eggwhites (approximately 4 eggs)
- Place the biscuits in a food processor and process until fine.
- Add the butter and process until combined.
- Using the back of a spoon, press the biscuit mixture in the base of an 18cm (1-litre-capacity) pie dish. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Place the chocolate and cream in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until melted and smooth.
- Pour into the prepared pie dish and refrigerate for 45 minutes or until firm.
- To make the marshmallow meringue, place 1½ cups (330g) of the sugar, the cream of tartar and water in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and cook, without stirring, for 3–4 minutes or until slightly reduced and syrupy.
- Place the eggwhites in the clean bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar and whisk until combined.
- With the mixer on high speed, gradually pour the sugar syrup into the eggwhites in a thin, steady stream and whisk for a further 3–4 minutes or until thick and glossy.
- Spoon the meringue on top of the chocolate and, using a kitchen blowtorch or placing the pie under the grill (broiler) for 30 seconds, lightly toast the meringue to caramelise the top before serving. Serves 6–8.
Tip: This pie is best eaten on the day it’s made.
There are no comments for this entry yet.