churros with caramel sauce
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 100g butter, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 3 eggs
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 cup (250ml) single (pouring) cream
- 1 cup (175g) brown sugar
- 60g butter, chopped
- To make the caramel sauce, place the cream, sugar and butter in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until butter is melted.Cook for 4–5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Set aside. Mix to combine the sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Place the butter and water in a saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Add the flour and salt and beat with a wooden spoon until mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Remove from heat.
- Place into an electric mixer, gradually add the eggs and beat for 2 minutes or until a smooth dough forms.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Spoon the dough into a piping bag with a 1cm star nozzle and pipe 10cm lengths of the mixture into the oil, in batches, using scissors to snip the lengths. Cook for 3–4 minutes or until golden, drain on absorbent paper and toss in the sugar to coat.
- Serve with the caramel sauce. Makes 50.
There are no comments for this entry yet.