macaron and vanilla layer cake
- 62 store-bought coloured macarons
- 7½ cups (1.1kg) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 4½ teaspoons baking powder, sifted
- 5¼ cups (1.15kg) caster (superfine) sugar
- 50g butter, melted
- 12 eggs
- 4½ cups (1.1 litres) milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups (750g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder, sifted
- 3½ cups (770g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 500g butter, melted
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups (750ml) milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggwhites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (325ºF). To make the 28cm and 18cm cakes, place the flour, baking powder, sugar, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Divide between 1 x 28cm-round and 1 x 18cm-round lightly greased tins lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake the 28cm cake for 2 hours 10 minutes, and bake the 18cm cake for 1 hour 30 minutes. Allow to cool in tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely. Trim the cakes tops to create a flat surface.To make the 24cm and 12cm cakes, follow the method as above. Divide the cake mixture between 1 x 24cm-round and 1 x 12cm-round lightly greased tins lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake the 24cm cake for 2 hours and bake the 12cm cake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Allow cakes to cool in tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely. Trim the cake tops to create a flat surface.
- To make the meringue icing, place the eggwhites and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and set aside. Place the sugar, cream of tartar and water in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar is melted. Place a sugar (candy) thermometer in the saucepan and increase heat to high. Bring to the boil and cook until temperature reaches 115ºC (239ºF). Remove from heat. Set the mixer to medium speed and slowly pour the sugar syrup into the eggwhites. Increase speed to high and whisk for 4–5 minutes or until thick and glossy. Layer the cakes from largest to smallest. Use a palette knife to spread the cakes with the icing. Press the macarons around the cake decorate. Serves 40.
There are no comments for this entry yet.