rhubarb crumble muffins
- 300g rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- ¼ cup (60ml) orange juice
- 2½ cups (375g) self-raising (self-rising) flour
- 1 cup (175g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125ml) buttermilk
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (75g) self-raising (self-rising) flour
- 2 tablespoons Demerara sugar
- 40g unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the rhubarb, vanilla bean, sugar, orange rind and juice in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until soft. Set aside to cool slightly. While the rhubarb is cooling, make the crumble topping.
- Place the flour, Demerara sugar and butter in a medium bowl and mix until just combined. Set aside. Place the flour, sugar, cinnamon and ginger in a large bowl.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, buttermilk and oil, and, using a butter knife, mix until just combined. Spoon into 12 x ½-cup-capacity (125ml) well-greased muffin tins.
- Top each with the rhubarb and spoon over the crumble. Cook for 20 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Set aside to cool for 2 minutes in the tins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 12.
There are no comments for this entry yet.