spelt spaghetti with roast garlic
and sweet potato
- 1kg sweet potato (kumara), peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
- 8 cloves garlic, skin on
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- ⅓ cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 400g wholemeal spelt spaghetti+
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 bunches sorrel leaves
- ½ cup chervil leaves
- mixed micro (baby) sorrel leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F). Place the sweet potato, garlic, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large bowl and toss to coat.
- Divide between 2 lightly greased large oven trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Cook for 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is golden brown and tender. Set aside.
- While the sweet potato is cooking, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 6–8 minutes or until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup (125ml) of the cooking water.
- Return the spaghetti and cooking water to the saucepan with the lemon juice and remaining oil. Mix to combine. Divide the pasta and sweet potato among bowls and serve with the roasted garlic, sorrel, chervil and mixed micro sorrel. Serves 4.
+ Wholemeal spelt spaghetti has a mild, nutty flavour and is high in fibre. It is available from supermarkets.
Super quick to prepare and very tasty, a family staple for week night dinners