brown rice and tofu teriyaki balls
- 400g can chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
- 200g firm tofu, grated
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup (40g) wholemeal (whole-wheat) flour
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 green onions (scallions), finely chopped
- 1 cup (20g) baby spinach, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 sheet nori (dried seaweed), thinly sliced
- 1 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
- toasted sesame seeds and steamed brown rice, to serve
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- ¼ cup (60ml) mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- ¼ cup (60ml) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rapadura sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) water
- To make the teriyaki sauce, place the ginger, mirin, soy sauce, sugar and water in a medium bowl, stir to combine and set aside.
- To make the tofu balls, place the chickpeas in a food processor and process until smooth. Place in a large bowl, add the tofu, soy sauce, flour, ginger, garlic, onion and spinach and stir well to combine. Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat and cook the tofu balls, turning, for 4 minutes or until lightly golden. Reduce the temperature to low, add the teriyaki sauce and cook, turning, for 4 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Divide the tofu balls and nori between bowls. Top with the coriander and sesame seeds and serve with the rice. Serves 4.
There are no comments for this entry yet.