chicken master stock
- 5 green onions (scallions), cut into lengths
- 1 brown onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 long red chillies
- 100g fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, bruised
- ¼ cup (60ml) light soy sauce
- 1 cup (250ml) Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing)
- ¼ cup (60ml) caster (superfine) sugar
- 4 litres water
- 1.8kg whole chicken
- Place the green onion, onion, chilli, ginger, garlic, soy, cooking wine, sugar and water in a large saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil.
- Add the chicken, breast-side down, and return to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, cover with a tight-fitting lid and allow to stand for 1 hour. Serves 4–6.
+ You can strain the broth and use to make soups and shred the chicken for salads and sandwiches. Freeze the broth in airtight containers for up to three months.
5 Stars! Absolutely delicious stock recipe - have made it three times now and will not go back. Chicken works perfectly with Donna’s noodle soup recipe too.