roast tomato soup
- 12 large vine-ripened tomatoes (2kg), halved
- 1 head garlic, whole and unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 2–3 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the tomatoes and garlic on two baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 40 minutes or until very soft. Allow to cool slightly.
- Squeeze the garlic flesh from its skin and process in a blender with the tomatoes and any juice from the baking trays in two batches until smooth. Cook the tomato mixture, stock and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. To serve, ladle into bowls or mugs and top with a spoonful of mint pesto (see below). Serves 4–6.
Mint pesto: Roughly chop 1 cup mint leaves, ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, ¼ cup toasted pine nuts and ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese in a blender or food processor. Add ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil and blend until combined. Serve spoonfuls on top of tomato, lentil or vegetable soups.
There are no comments for this entry yet.