passionfruit and blood orange ricotta tarts
- 1¼ cups (275g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 blood oranges, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (125ml) passionfruit pulp (approximately 6 passionfruit)
- 2 cups (320g) wholemeal flour
- 1 cup (160g) almonds
- 1 cup (85g) quinoa flakes+
- 1½ cups (240g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar
- 250g unsalted butter, chopped
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 cups (960g) fresh ricotta
- ½ cup (80g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- To make the almond pastry, place the flour, almonds, quinoa flakes, icing sugar and butter in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. With the motor running, add the egg yolks and process until the dough just comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently bring together to form a dough. Divide dough in half, flatten into discs, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Roll out each pastry disc between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper to 3mm thick. Line 2 lightly greased 12cm x 35cm loose-bottomed, rectangular fluted tart tins with the pastry sheets. Trim the edges and prick each of the bases with a fork. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- While the pastry is chilling, place 1 cup (220g) of the caster sugar on a tray. Press the blood orange slices into the sugar and place on 2 baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Cook, turning halfway, for 15 minutes or until caramelised. Set aside. Line the pastry cases with non-stick baking paper and fill with baking weights. Cook for 10 minutes, remove the paper and weights and bake for a further 10 minutes on until the pastry is dry and golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely.
- While the pastry is cooling, place the passionfruit and remaining caster sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until syrupy. Place in a bowl and refrigerate until cold.
- To make the ricotta filling, place the ricotta, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk for 4–5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Spoon the filling into the tart cases. Top one tart with the blood orange, drizzling with the syrup from the tray, and top the other tart with the passionfruit syrup. Serves 10–12.
+ Quinoa flakes are available from the health-food aisle of supermarkets.
Tip: If you’d only like to make one tart, simply halve the ingredients and top with your desired topping.
There are no comments for this entry yet.