passionfruit tart with caramelised rum pineapple
- 1½ cups (375ml) single (pouring) cream
- 3 eggs
- 5 egg yolks
- ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
- ¾ cup (180ml) passionfruit pulp (approximately 6 passionfruit)
sweet shortcrust pastry
- 1½ cups (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 125g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ½ cup (80g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon iced water
caramelised rum pineapple
- 500g fresh pineapple, cut into 3cm pieces
- ½ cup (125ml) passionfruit pulp (approximately 4 passionfruit)
- ½ cup (90g) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) white rum
- To make the shortcrust pastry, place the flour, butter and sugar in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. While the motor is running, add the egg yolks and water, and process until the dough just comes together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently bring together to form a ball. Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Roll out the pastry between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper to 3mm thick. Line a 22cm loose-bottomed tart tin with the pastry. Trim the edges and prick the base with a fork. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Line the pastry case with non-stick baking paper and fill with baking weights or uncooked rice. Place on a large baking tray and cook for 20 minutes, remove the paper and weights, and cook for a further 10–12 minutes or until the pastry is light golden. Allow to cool slightly in the tin.
- Reduce oven to 140°C (275°F). Place the cream, eggs, egg yolks, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and whisk to combine. Strain the mixture into a clean bowl and stir through the passionfruit pulp. Carefully pour the passionfruit filling into the tart shell and cook for 30 minutes or until just set. Allow to cool to room temperature before refrigerating until cold.
- To make the caramelised rum pineapple, place the pineapple, passionfruit pulp and sugar in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until caramelised. Add the rum and cook for 3 minutes. Cool slightly. Top the tart with the caramelised rum pineapple to serve. Serves 6.
There are no comments for this entry yet.