beetroot and cumin hummus
with toasted walnuts
- 400g can chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 225g can baby beetroot, drained
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup (70g) natural Greek-style (thick) yoghurt, to serve
- ¼ cup (25g) walnuts, toasted and chopped, to serve
- micro (baby) lemon balm leaves (optional), to serve
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Place the chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, beetroot, cumin, salt and pepper in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Place in a serving bowl and top with the yoghurt, walnuts and lemon balm, if using.
- Drizzle with oil to serve. Makes 1½ cups.
Delicious, Instead of canned I finely grated raw beetroot into the mixture, yum!