- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- ½ cup (125ml) lemon juice
- 150g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- Place the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice in a bowl and whisk to combine. Pour the mixture into a large saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Reduce the heat to low and gradually add the butter, 3 pieces at a time, stirring continuously until melted. Continue to cook, stirring continuously, for 4–6 minutes or until the mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Strain immediately into a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until cold. Makes 1½ cups.
Tip: You can store this lemon curd in an airtight container or sterilised jar in the refrigerator for up to one week.