frozen vanilla christmas pudding
- 1 x quantity basic custard ice-cream (see recipe below) or 1 litre store-bought vanilla ice-cream, softened
- 2 teaspoons ground mixed spice
- 400g cooked store-bought Christmas pudding, crumbled
- 40cm-square muslin cloth
basic custard ice-cream
- 1½ cups (375ml) milk
- 1½ cups (375ml) single (pouring) cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- If using, make the basic custard ice-cream mixture and place in a bowl (see method, below). Refrigerate until cooled completely.
- Churn in an ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Stir through the mixed spice and crumbled pudding and spoon into a 2-litre pudding basin lined with the muslin.
- Freeze for 3–4 hours or until completely set. Use the muslin cloth to ease the pudding from the basin to serve. Serves 6–8.
BASIC CUSTARD ICE-CREAM
- Place the milk, cream, vanilla bean and seeds, and half the sugar in a medium saucepan over high heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and remove from the heat. Remove the vanilla bean and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Place the egg yolks and remaining sugar in a bowl and whisk until pale and creamy. Gradually pour the milk mixture over the egg mixture, whisking continuously.
- Place in a clean saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 5–7 minutes or until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Place in a bowl and refrigerate until cooled completely. Churn in an ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer ice-cream to a metal container and freeze until ready to serve. Makes 1 litre.
There are no comments for this entry yet.