jam and cream sponge cake
- ⅔ cup (100g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 50g unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup (125ml) single (pouring) cream
- 1 cup (320g) strawberry jam
- fesh raspberries, to decorate
- icing (confectioner’s) sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Sift the flour and baking powder three times and set aside.
- Place the eggs and sugar in an electric mixer and whisk on high speed for 10–12 minutes or until pale, thick and tripled in volume.
- Sift ½ of flour mixture over the egg mixture and gently fold through using a large metal spoon. Repeat with the remaining flour.
- Add the butter and fold through.
- Divide the mixture between in 2 x 20cm-round lightly greased shallow cake tins lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Bake for 16–18 minutes or until sponges are springy to the touch and come away from the sides of the tins.
- Remove from the tins and cool completely on wire racks.
- Whisk the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Spread one sponge with the jam, top with the cream and raspberries and sandwich with remaining sponge.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve. Serves 6–8.
I’ve made this beautiful sponge cake with cream and red fruits for my boyfriend’s birthday and it was a huge success! Thanks a lot Donna for giving me inspiration to make our meals and special occasions even tastier and lovely