basic crème caramel
- ⅔ cups (150g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ⅓ cup (80ml) water
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- ¾ cup (180ml) single (pouring) cream
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks extra
- ⅓ cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- extra 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F). Place the sugar and water in a saucepan over high heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 8–10 minutes or until the mixture is dark golden. Pour into 4 x ¾ cup-capacity (180ml) ovenproof dishes. Set aside for 5 minutes or until the caramel is set.
- Place the milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat until it just comes to the boil. Remove from heat.
- Place the eggs, extra yolks, extra sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Gradually add the milk mixture, whisking to combine. Strain the mixture and pour into the dishes.
- Place dishes in a water bath. Bake for 35 minutes or until set. Remove from the dish and refrigerate for 2 hours or until cold. Remove the crème caramels from the fridge 30 minutes before serving. Turn out onto plates to serve. Serves 4.
+ Make a water bath by placing dishes in a baking dish lined with a folded tea towel and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the dishes. A folded tea towel in the base of the baking dish stops the dishes from sliding around and ensures the crème caramel cooks evenly as the dishes don’t touch the baking dish directly.
There are no comments for this entry yet.