cardamom and coconut chicken skewers
- 1kg chicken thigh fillets, trimmed and cut into 3cm strips
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime rind
- 2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- charred store-bought roti, to serve
- 1 green bird’s-eye chilli, thinly sliced, to serve
coriander and chilli salsa
- 4 cups coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 2 cups mint leaves
- 1 long green chilli, sliced
- ¼ cup (60ml) lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons natural Greek-style (thick) yoghurt
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- cracked black pepper
- Place the chicken, coconut cream, lime, ginger, garlic, cardamom, chilli powder and turmeric in a large bowl and mix to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To make the salsa, place the coriander leaves, mint, chilli, lime juice, ground coriander, yoghurt, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Thread the chicken onto 10 metal skewers. Heat a char-grill pan over high heat and grease well. Cook the chicken for 2 minutes each side or until lightly charred and cooked through. Serve with roti, salsa and sliced green chilli. Makes 10.
This was really delicious and tasted very authentic.
My guests were literally fighting over these.
As we have nut allergies we used sunflower seed butter instead of fresh peanuts and this made for a fine substitute.
Absolutely stunning loved this recipe was a winner thank you Donna hay