caramel sticky date cookies
- 1½ cups (360g) firmly packed chopped pitted fresh dates (about 15 dates)
- ½ cup (85g) brown sugar
- 125g unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of (baking) soda
- 1 cup (140g) wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 cup (80g) spelt flakes
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F).
- Place the dates, sugar and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until the butter is melted. Cook, stirring, for a further 5 minutes or until the dates are soft. Add the bicarbonate of soda, mix to combine and set aside to cool.
- Place the flour, spelt flakes, egg, cinnamon and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the date mixture and mix to combine.
- Divide and shape the mixture into 2-tablespoon balls, flatten slightly and place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 12–14 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool on trays. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Makes 12.
+ Soft and chewy, these cookies make the perfect afternoon snack.
There are no comments for this entry yet.