chocolate caramel muffins
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- ½ cup (50g) Dutch cocoa, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 1½ cups (265g) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150g unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup (190g) store-bought thick caramel or dulce de leche
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the flour, cocoa, baking powder and sugar in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the eggs, butter, milk and vanilla and mix until just combined. Stir through the chocolate.
- Divide half the mixture between 12 x ½-cup-capacity (125ml) well-greased muffin tins lined with paper cases.
- Top each with the caramel and top with the remaining mixture. Cook for 22–24 minutes. Allow to cool before serving. Makes 12.
+ These desserts will keep for up to three days in an airtight container.
+ We like to use dulce de leche when using thick caramel in desserts, which is made from cooked condensed milk. Find it at specialty grocery stores.
I skipped the caramel and we still loved it!