cavolo nero, silverbeet and fennel soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 3 cups (750ml) water
- 3 cups (80g) shredded silverbeet
- 150g cavolo nero, stalks removed
- 1½ cups (225g) frozen baby peas
- 8 baguette slices
- 200g stracchino, sliced
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the onion, garlic, fennel, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook for 6–8 minutes or until soft. Add the stock and water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10–12 minutes or until reduced slightly. Add the silverbeet, cavolo nero and peas and cook for 2 minutes or until the silverbeet is tender.
- While the soup is cooking, heat the grill to high. Top the baguette slices with the stracchino, place on a large oven tray and cook for 2–3 minutes or until dark golden brown and the cheese has melted. Divide the soup between bowls, top with the toasts and sprinkle with pepper to serve. Serves 4–6
TIP: Stracchino is available from delicatessens and cheese stores. If you can’t find it, you can substitute with mozzarella.
There are no comments for this entry yet.