chocolate swirl scone loaf
- 1 ½ cup self-raising (self-rising) flour, sifted
- ¼ cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 40g cold butter, chopped
- ½ cup (125ml) milk, plus extra, for brushing
- 100g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (355ºF). Place the flour and sugar in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub it into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk. Use a butter knife to gradually mix the milk into the flour mixture until just combined. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently bring the dough together. Roll out to a 18cm x 24cm rectangle.
- Sprinkle with the chocolate and roll up to enclose. Place in a 19cm x 9cm loaf tin lined with baking paper. Brush with extra milk and bake for 25–30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn out on to a wire rack to cool. Slice to serve. Serves 6–8.
This takes scones to a whole new level! So morish and delicious, and even better with whipped cream!