salted caramel crunch ice-creams
- ¼ cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ¼ cup (10g) puffed brown rice
- 625ml (440g) store-bought vanilla ice-cream, roughly chopped+
- ⅓ cup (100g) store-bought thick caramel or dulce de leche
- 200g 70% dark chocolate, melted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 12–14 minutes or until deep golden in colour, swirling the pan occasionally. Working quickly, add the puffed rice, fold to combine and pour the mixture onto the tray. Allow to set at room temperature. Finely chop and set aside.
- Place the ice-cream in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on low speed until softened. Add the caramel and the crunchy puffed rice. Gently fold to create a swirled effect. Spoon into 6 x ⅓-cup-capacity (80ml) popsicle moulds, insert sticks and freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
- Line a large tray with non-stick baking paper. Run the moulds under hot water for 10 seconds to help remove the popsicles. Place on the tray and freeze until needed.
- Place the chocolate and oil in a medium bowl and mix until smooth. Allow to cool to room temperature. Working quickly, dip half of each popsicle into the chocolate mixture and return to the tray. Sprinkle immediately with salt to serve, or freeze until ready to serve. Makes 6
+ Because all store-bought ice-creams vary, for this recipe we’ve given a volume and weight suggestion. Use the volume measurement to help you purchase enough ice-cream at the supermarket. At home, weigh the ice-cream before you begin and you’ll end up with 6 perfectly sized popsicles.
Tip: Keep these ice-creams in the freezer for up to 2 days.
donna hay team
Hi Jenny, yes you could use Rice Bubbles however they do have some added sugar. You should be able to locate bags of puffed rice in the health food aisle of your supermarket. The DH team
Puffed rice? Do you mean rice bubbles or similar?
donna hay team
Hi Rachel, the popsicle moulds will be available in our online store very soon! The DH team.
Yum! Where do you get the popsicle moulds?