basic vanilla cake
- 2½ cups (375g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1¾ cups (385g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 250g butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups (375ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla in a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Pour into a lightly greased tin of preferred size lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for specified time (see tin variations below) or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
+ 22cm (8½ in) square tin – bake for 1 hour and 10-15 minutes.
+ 20 x 30cm (7¾ x 12 in) slab tin – bake for 40-50 minutes.
+ 18cm round tin - bake for 1 hour and 25 minutes.
donna hay team
Hi Jaimee! Unfortunately the buttermilk will react with the rising agents, so we suggest you use normal milk in this instance. Happy cooking!
Can I use butter milk instead of normal?