chocolate and peppermint creams
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (90g) light brown sugar
- ½ cup (175g) golden syrup
- 1½ cups (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- ¼ cup (25g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of (baking)
- soda, sifted
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2½ cups (400g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- Place the butter, sugar and golden syrup in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 8–10 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda and beat until a smooth dough forms. Add the chocolate and mix well to combine. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Roll 1-tablespoon portions of the dough into balls. Place on the trays and flatten slightly, allowing room to spread. Bake for 10–12 minutes or until the cookies are just cracked on top.
- Allow to cool on the trays for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- To make the peppermint cream, place the sugar, milk and peppermint extract in a clean bowl of the electric mixer and beat for 3–4 minutes or until smooth.
- Spread the underside of half the biscuits with the peppermint cream and sandwich with the remaining biscuits to serve. Makes 18
Tip: Filled peppermint creams will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week. It helps to place non-stick baking paper between the cookies to ensure they don’t stick together.
There are no comments for this entry yet.