broccoli pesto pasta
- 800g broccoli, cut into small florets
- ¾ cup (120g) pine nuts, toasted
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra, for drizzling
- 2 cups (160g) finely grated parmesan, plus extra, to serve
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 500g orecchiette+
- baby (micro) basil leaves, to serve
- Place the broccoli, ½ cup (80g) of the pine nuts, the garlic, lemon rind and juice, oil, parmesan, salt and pepper in a food processor and process until roughly chopped. Set aside. Crush the remaining pine nuts and set aside.
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water according to packet instructions or until al dente. Drain, reserving ¾ cup (180ml) of the cooking liquid.
- Return the pasta and cooking liquid to the pan over medium heat, add the broccoli mixture and stir for 1–2 minutes or until well combined.
- Divide the pasta between plates and top with the reserved pine nuts, extra parmesan and basil leaves.
- Drizzle with the extra oil to serve. Serves 4.
+ Find orecchiette at supermarkets and delis. You can also use small shells.
Interesting flavour. Made a batch of this pesto and have been using it when making couscous, marinating chicken , coating spuds for roasting. Really pleased with it.