crispy sesame-crusted tofu
- 800g firm tofu, thickly sliced
- 1 cup (100g) panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
- ½ cup (75g) sesame seeds
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 eggwhites
- vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- steamed broccolini and kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), to serve
roasted chilli salt
- 2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- To make the roasted chilli salt, place the chilli and Sichuan pepper in a small frying pan over medium heat. Cook for 1–2 minutes or until fragrant, transfer to a small food processer or a mortar and grind until well combined. Set aside.
- Cut the tofu into 8 pieces and dry well on absorbent paper. Combine the breadcrumbs, sesame and a generous amount of salt and pepper and place in a shallow bowl. Place the eggwhite in a separate shallow bowl. Dip the tofu into the eggwhite and roll in the crumb mixture to coat. Heat 2–3cm of the oil in a large deep frying pan until it reaches 180°C (355°F) on a kitchen thermometer. Cook the tofu, in batches, for 2–3 minutes each side or until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Divide the broccolini between plates, drizzle with the soy and top with the tofu. Sprinkle with the chilli salt to serve. Serves 4.
There are no comments for this entry yet.