classic apple crumble
- 5 medium Granny Smith (green) apples (900g), peeled, cored and cut into 2cm dice
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- store-bought vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- 1½ cups (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 225g unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the apple, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix to combine. Transfer to a 1.5-litre-capacity ovenproof dish.
- To make the crumble topping, place the flour, sugar, cinnamon, oats and butter in a large bowl and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the crumble mixture over the apple and place the dish on a large baking tray. Bake for 40–45 minutes, or until the crumble is golden and the apples are soft. Serve with vanilla ice-cream. Serves 6.
This is a fabulous recipe, normally I wouldn’t comment on recipes but this one is amazing. You need to keep the lemon juice in there other wise it’s way too sweet. It gives an acidic flavour that really brings this dessert together. TRY IT OUT NOW. Ha Ha.
I made this with gluten free flour and it was amazing. Great recipe!
It was really delicious however I think the recipe calls for way too much butter in the crumble. I had a thick layer of butter around the edges and it didn’t crumble/cook properly, I only had a crumbly crust on top
This is a super easy recipe. Yet it was delicious. Next time I will reduce a bit more sugar. My whole family loved it. Thank you.
Absolutely delicious ! I added blueberries as well & brown sugar suggested by the previous comment. I wanted to give this recipe 5 stars , but it didn’t work . So my rating is definitely 5 ! So easy
Excellent easy recipe, we used brown sugar to replace the castor sugar and this gave it a nice caramel taste…