date doughnuts with spiced sugar
- 1 cup (180g) fresh dates, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) boiling water
- 1¼ cups (185g) self-raising flour, sifted
- ¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (110g) white sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Place the dates and water in a small bowl and allow to stand for 5 minutes or until softened. Using a fork, mash the dates until smooth.
- Place the flour, sugar, eggs, milk, butter, vanilla and date mixture in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Spoon half the mixture into a well-greased 6 x ⅓-cup-capacity (80ml) doughnut pan. Cook for 12–14 minutes or until golden brown and cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Turn out doughnuts onto a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining batter to make 12 doughnuts.
- To make the spiced sugar, place the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl and mix to combine. Toss the doughnuts in the spiced sugar to serve. Makes 12.
There are no comments for this entry yet.