red coconut curry lentil
and sweet potato soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 eschalots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
- ¼ cup (75g) store-bought Thai red curry paste
- 750g sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 x 400ml can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 x 400g cans lentils, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- crusty bread and butter, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the eschalot and garlic and cook for 3–4 minutes or until softened.
- Add the ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the curry paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the sweet potato, stock, coconut milk, fish sauce and lime juice, bring to the boil and cook for 10–15 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.
- Remove from the heat and, using a hand-held electric blender, puree the soup until smooth. Stir through the lentils and return to the heat for a further 1 minute or until the lentils are warmed through.
- Divide the soup between bowls and top with the coriander. Serve with crusty bread and butter. Serves 4.
There are no comments for this entry yet.