halloween jack-o’-lantern meringues
- 150ml eggwhites (approximately 4 eggs)
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon orange food colouring+
- black writing icing pen++
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Place the eggwhites in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking for 30 seconds before adding each tablespoon. Once all the sugar has been incorporated, whisk for a further 6 minutes or until the mixture is stiff and glossy. Scrape down the side of the bowl, add the vinegar and food colouring and whisk for a further 2 minutes or until glossy and combined.
- Place the mixture in a piping bag fitted with a 2cm star nozzle and pipe 3cm drop shapes onto a large baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper, leaving a little space between meringues to allow them to spread. Place the meringues in the oven, reduce the heat to 120°C and cook for 30 minutes or until dry to the touch.
- Turn the oven off and allow to cool in the oven for 1 hour. Use the icing pen to draw faces on the meringues. Makes 20.
+ If you can’t find orange food colouring, just mix a few drops of red and yellow food colouring together.
++ Writing icing pens are tubes with small nozzles that are perfect for writing with icing. Find them in the baking aisle at supermarkets.
There are no comments for this entry yet.