chocolate and date custard pots
- 2 cups (500ml) single (pouring) cream
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1½ cups (360g) fresh (medjool) dates, pitted
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 150g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- dutch cocoa, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Place the cream, milk, dates and vanilla bean and seeds in a medium saucepan over high heat and cook until the mixture just comes to the boil. Remove from the heat, discard the vanilla bean, and using a hand-held stick blender, blend until smooth.
- Add the chocolate and mix until melted. Place the eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk until combined. Gradually add the hot date mixture to the egg mixture, whisking until combined. Strain the custard and pour into 6 x 1-cup-capacity (250ml) ovenproof ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a water bath+ and cook for 25–30 minutes, or until just set. Carefully remove from the water bath and refrigerate until cold. Dust with cocoa to serve. Serves 6.
+ Make a water bath by placing your dish or ramekins in a baking dish lined with folded tea towel and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the dish.
There are no comments for this entry yet.