orange and cinnamon syrup cake
- 2 medium oranges
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (85g) rapadura sugar
- 1¼ cups (150g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- ½ cup (80g) buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup (40g) natural flaked almonds, toasted
- orange cinnamon syrup
- 2 cups (500ml) orange juice
- ⅓ cup (60g) rapadura sugar
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- Place the oranges in a small saucepan, cover with water and top the oranges with a small plate to submerge. Bring to the boil over high heat and cook for 1 hour or until very soft. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the oranges in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed for 6–8 minutes or until thick and tripled in volume. Add the orange puree, almond meal, flour and baking powder and gently fold to combine.
- Pour into a lightly greased 20cm x 30cm slice tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Smooth the top and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- While the cake is cooking, make the orange cinnamon syrup. Place the orange juice, sugar and cinnamon in a medium saucepan over high heat and cook for 12–15 minutes or until lightly reduced. Pour half the syrup over the hot cake in the tin and set aside to cool slightly.
- Remove the cake from the tin and top with the remaining syrup and almonds to serve. Serves 8–10.
There are no comments for this entry yet.