pumpkin and orange salad
with almond poached chicken
- 2 x 250g chicken breast fillets, trimmed
- 1 litre unsweetened almond milk
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 800g butternut pumpkin, peeled and spiralised+
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 oranges, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- ½ cup (40g) toasted natural flaked almonds
- ⅓ cup (80ml) orange juice
- purple shiso leaves, to serve
- Place the chicken, almond milk, garlic and half the ginger in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to just below the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 12–15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly in the pan. Transfer the chicken to a large bowl and shred using 2 forks (discard the almond milk liquid).
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the pumpkin, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute or until just softened. Divide the orange and pumpkin between plates. Top with the chicken and almonds. Place the orange juice, salt, pepper and the remaining ginger and oil in a small bowl and mix to combine. Drizzle over the salad and top with shiso leaves to serve. Serves 4
+ If you don’t have a spiraliser, you can use a mandoline, julienne peeler or sharp knife to create the thin vegetable strands.
There are no comments for this entry yet.