- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg brown onions, sliced
- ⅓ cup (80ml) balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup (60g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- cracked black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 12–15 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper and cook for a further 15 minutes or until dark and caramelised. Makes 2 cups.
Best caramelised onions I have made to date. A little sweet for us so added juice of 1 lemon…yum.