- 100g butter
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 1 tablespoon milk
- icing (confectioner’s) sugar, to dust
- 5 apples
peeled and chopped
- 10g butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1¼ cups (185g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 125g butter
- ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320ºF). To make the crumble, mix the flour, baking powder, butter and sugar in a bowl until it resembles breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- To make the apple filling, place the apple, butter and cinnamon in a saucepan over low heat and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Allow to cool.
- Place the butter and sugar in an electric mixer and beat until creamy. Add the egg and beat well. Fold through the flour, baking powder and milk. Spread in a 20cm x 30cm tin lined with non-stick baking paper, top with the apple filling and crumble and bake for 40 minutes until golden. Serves 6–8.
My husband´s grandma bakes this cake and it is beloved by the whole family.