chicken larb with brown rice vermicelli
and quick pickled cucumber
- 100g brown rice vermicelli noodles+
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons Asian chilli jam
- 500g chicken mince
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup (60ml) oyster sauce
- 2 baby cos (romaine) lettuce, leaves separated
- Thai basil leaves, to serve
- coriander (cilantro) leaves, to serve
- unsalted peanuts, chopped, to serve
- quick pickled cucumber
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- To make the pickled cucumber, place the vinegar, garlic and honey in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the cucumber and chilli and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Place the noodles in a large heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Place the garlic, ginger, chilli jam and chicken in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat, add the chicken mixture and cook, stirring, for 5–6 minutes.
- Add the oyster sauce and cook for a further 2–3 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Divide the noodles between lettuce leaves and top with the chicken and pickled cucumber.
- Top with basil, coriander and peanut to serve. Serves 4.
+ Brown rice vermicelli noodles are available from health food stores and Asian supermarkets. You can also use regular rice vermicelli.
Delicious! Super quick and easy for a mid week meal. A little spicy for me, although my tolerance levels aren’t great. We chose not to use the lettuce leaves and just had more noodles and mince in a bowl. The pickled cucumbers are the perfect side to accompany this and added some refreshment for the spice. You should def. add this one to your mid-week meals.