- 1 x quantity basic vanilla cake
(see link to recipe in step 1)
- 1 x 2.25-litre capacity (9 cup) dolly vardon cake tin
- ½ x quantity vanilla butter icing
(see link to recipe in step)
- 2½ x 500g packets store-bought ready-to-roll fondant icing
- pink food colouring
- silver cachous, to decorate
- 1 x half-doll cake topper (from specialty cake decorating stores and online.)
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Follow the basic vanilla cake recipe. Pour mixture into a well-greased 2.25-litre capacity (9 cup) dolly vardon cake tin and bake for 1 hour and 30–35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To cut Invert the cake and trim the base to ensure it sits flat. Brush away crumbs and secure to a cake board with icing. Use a palette knife to spread the cake with the vanilla butter icing.
- To decorate divide the ready-to-roll icing into 3 equal portions. Knead each piece of icing on a clean surface until pliable. Add 1 drop of pink food colouring to 1 portion and knead until colour is even. Add a little more pink food colouring to the second portion and knead until colour is even. Leave the remaining portion uncoloured.
- Roll each piece of icing out between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper to 3mm-thick. Drape the uncoloured icing over the cake, smoothing any creases. Trim the excess icing from the base of the skirt and set aside.
- Cut an approximately 24cm round from the light pink icing and drape over the first layer, allowing the icing to create ruffles.
- Roll the reserved uncoloured icing out to 3mm-thick. Cut an approximately 18cm round from the icing and use to drape over the light pink layer. Cut an approximately 10cm–12cm round from the deep-pink icing and drape over the second white layer. Press to secure and decorate the hem of the skirt with cachous.
- Insert the doll into the centre of the cake. Cut 4 x thin strips from the remaining deep-pink icing and layer around the doll’s torso to make her bodice. Decorate the doll’s waist with cachous. Serves 8–10.
There are no comments for this entry yet.